Friday, June 11, 2010

This is the Way the World Ends (and the blog begins) . . .

Not with a bang, but with a whimper. I’d like to say my reasons for creating a blog were noble or different than many other of the reasons ordinary men like myself create blogs. No one suggested or “talked me into” making one. No well-meaning friend, after a long and weary conversation, took off his glasses, pushed aside his dinner plate and seriously told me to consider a blog. Really the reason for this thing is simple: I’ve discovered a need to break silence. I’ve known for years that despite the other titles I toss upon myself like old clothes cycled through fashion, at my heart I love to write. And I don’t do it nearly enough. So here I am.

This is not a Christian blog in the sense that I’m here to provide uplifting words or speak continually of Christian things, but I am unapologetically a Christian, and so that will inform everything I say or do. My life is one transformed by a mysterious and awesome thing – the love of God, in the form of a perfect replacement for me, an undeserving sinner, upon the cross – and so there is no way I can escape the perfect shadow of Christ on my life. I dwell often upon God, upon His influence in my life and the world. He will be making numerous appearances throughout this unstable and disputed endeavor.

If you are a friend, a member of my large and rather widely extended family, or a stranger I’ve yet to meet, I apologize in advance, for this is a place to unload my thoughts, which come streaming, tumbling, and galloping out of my mind in different ways. Short stories, essays, poetry. All those things will probably end up here in some fashion. And they probably won’t be very good. So again, apologies.

No comments:

Post a Comment